Dry Ice Safety Tips

Before using Penguin Brand Dry Ice®, make sure you know how to handle it safely

Follow these simple rules to make sure all your Penguin Brand Dry Ice® projects go off without a hitch:

Don’t eat or drink dry ice

The human body is not built to digest dry ice. Never eat dry ice or drink anything with dry ice in it, and keep it away from your skin and face.

Only use dry ice under adult supervision

If your project is educational or for the benefit of children, keep a watchful eye and make sure the kids understand the safe handling rules found here.

Don’t store dry ice in an airtight container

Use an insulating container that’s not tightly sealed. If gas can’t escape, pressure will build inside the container, leading to a potential explosion.

Give yourself and your dry ice some breathing room

Dry ice emits carbon dioxide (CO2) gas as it sublimates, which could cause suffocation in an enclosed space. Always make sure you use dry ice outside or in a well-ventilated area.

Never touch dry ice directly

Dry ice is -109.3°F (-78.5°C). That’s incredibly cold. Touching it for more than a few seconds could seriously irritate your skin. Always wear insulated gloves, use tongs or wrap your dry ice with an insulating material while handling.
Download the dry ice Safety Data Sheet